Constipation is the disease of modern lifestyle when stool is blocked in the large intestine and rots there, this condition is known as constipation. Even those who empty their bowels every day may be suffering from constipation.
On the other hand, some do not suffer from constipation though they answer the call of nature once in two days. Therefore, many people do not know whether they are suffering from constipation or not. But the fact is that at present, 99% of the population is suffering from constipation.
One who is suffering from constipation does not have clear motion, one is always lethargic, whose abdomen is hard, suffers from headaches, does not feel hungry, and suffers from many other diseases. There is no doubt that constipation is the mother of many other diseases.
There are two types of functions performed by the human body throughout life, one is the assimilation of the food we eat and the other is the elimination of the foreign matter produced in the body. Elimination of waste matter takes place through stool, urine, sweat, and through breath, nose, and eyes.
Both the processes of assimilation and elimination are necessary for the survival of the body. In constipation, the elimination of foreign matter through the large intestine is obstructed. As a result, it rots there, and toxins enter the bloodstream causing damage to other organs of the body. The main cause of constipation is wrong living and eating habits, overeating, eating when there is no hunger and not following the rules of a healthy diet.
Bad Effects of Constipation
As discussed previously, constipation is the root cause of almost all diseases, when the foreign matter elimination is stopped, many diseases appear like typhoid, heart trouble, and diseases of the bladder. They also suck and absorb the toxic fluids and mix them in the blood, because of this, the blood becomes impure and leads to many diseases.
It damages your pelvic floor muscles from straining to move your bowels. These muscles help control your bladder. Too much straining for too long a period may cause urine to leak from the bladder.
Treatment of the Constipation
Often people take laxatives if they have constipation, but research shows that the use of laxatives is very harmful to the intestines, and regular use of laxatives also causes constipation. Therefore, if there is constipation, instead of taking any laxative one should take an enema for a few days, first with warm water and then with cold water. It’s a misconception that by taking an enema, one gets its habits.
Whenever there is any ailment of the digestive system, one should stop taking food. The disease then subsides to one-third in intensity. There are some emotional causes of diseases in the digestive system, such as tension, worries, anger, hopelessness, etc.
There are some natural treatments for constipation, even chronic constipation is removed by these treatments.
- First remove those factors which cause constipation.
- Fast for one day, living only on water, then live for two days on juices. The best juices would be carrots and spinach, then for 7-15 days on fruits, if necessary, take an enema.
- Then sometime live on the following diet – take one meal of fruit, the second meal of whole bread, vegetable, yogurt, and salad. The number of fruits and vegetables should be twice that of cereals. When constipation is removed, resume simple and natural foods, which should contain of whole meal bread, ripe fruits such as guava, Beal, and Papaya, fresh uncooked milk, and fresh vegetable, either boiled or cooked. One should avoid pickles, oil, ghee, sweets, chilies, and spices.
- Take Ushapan – 1-4 glasses of water immediately after getting up in the morning should do every day.
- Once a week observe fasting, during fasting take plenty of water mixed with lemon juice.
- Do some exercise daily, including deep breathing exercises. A brisk walk of 4-6 kilometers in the morning and evening is good exercise.
- Constipation is also removed if one takes 50gms, of wheat bran mixed with food in the morning and evening. It should be mixed with whole wheat bread, vegetables, or pulses.
- One lemon juice mixed in a half a glass of cold water may be taken 3 to 4 times a day. It is very helpful to remove constipation.
- In the early morning, take lukewarm water with lemon juice, whenever there is heaviness in the stomach.
- It is helpful to take one warm glass of water half n hour before the meal.
- One should not drink water between meals, you can take a small amount of water if necessary.
- In the morning take a hip bath or put the wet pack on the abdomen for 30 minutes.
- One who is suffering from constipation should give up the habit of taking morning breakfast.
- “Surya Namaskar” is beneficial in the treatment of constipation if it's done properly.
- One should take thrice a day 100-200ml of Sun charged water from a green bottle on empty stomach.
- In case of chronic constipation, for seven days, tie a wet waist pack around the waist after going to the toilet and keep it for 20 minutes. It may also be tied up in the night before going to bed and removed in the morning.
- Constipation is easily removed by the Asana like – Pada-Hastasan and Pashchimottanasan, do them in the morning.
- Take 10-20 grams of Triphala powder or Harad powder, after meals, this also helps to cure constipation.
How to do Pada-Hastasan and Pashchimottanasan?
Stand erect with both feet joined together and hands raised, now bend slowly along with the arms. Pull the stomach inwards as much as possible and hold the big toes of the feet with the fingers of both hands. Care should be taken that hands, legs, and knees are straight. After practicing this position place the palms on the ground, while the heels of both feet are also firmly on the ground. This Asan should be done in the morning and evening for 10 minutes. If this Asan is done while sitting, it is known as Pashchimottanasan.
Note: These are general guidelines for people considered generally healthy, please consult the doctor before consumption and patch test every new type of application.
Visit the Yipisale blog for - Chronic Colitis Causes and Treatment
Visit Yipisale to buy - Ayurveda Herbs & Spices