What is Colchicum Luteum?
Colchicum botanical name is Colchicum Luteum, some other common names are Suranjan, Hirantutiya, Autumn Crocus, Meadow Saffron, Wonder Bulb, Crocus, Vellorita. It is mainly found in the temperate region of the Himalayas from Kashmir to Chamba, Central Asia, Afghanistan, and Pakistan. It is an annual herb with brownish fleshy underground stems. Colchicum luteum is one of the rarest and hence most expensive medicinal plants.
The plant has narrow leaves, broadening towards the tip, large yellow flowers, and fruits with recurved tips. The chief constituent of colchicum is the alkaloid, colchicine, which occurs in the form of yellow flakes, crystals, or as a whitish-yellow amorphous powder. Its odor resembles hay when damped and warmed.
Leaves - The leaves are alternate or less often opposite or the whorled, broad linear shape. They are 15–30 cm long and 0.8–1.5 cm broad, appear with flowers, and are narrow. Leaves increases in size as the plant approaches the fruiting stage.
Flower - The flowers are nearly always bisexual and actinomorphic, occurring in large, erect terminal cymes with one to three flowers. The flowering times are March to May, the flower contains 0.1-0.8% of colchicine.
Corms – The Corms are light brown in color and opaque with a bitter taste and one side flat and the other rounded, they can be either translucent or opaque. The corms contain 0.21-0.25% colchicine.
Colchicum Luteum Corms Sweet
Colchicum Luteum Corms Bitter
What are the benefits of Suranjan?
It is a medicine of great repute in Afghanistan and Northern India, the medical properties were well known even amongst the Arabs. Its corn and seeds are incorporated in the British Pharmacopoeia and allopathic medicine alludes to it as a remedy for gout.
It has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, anti-granuloma, anti-fungal, carminative, laxative, and aphrodisiac properties. Suranjan Corms are mainly used in Ayurveda for their medicinal benefits, they come in sweet and bitter, called Suranjan Mitthi and Suranjan Kadwi. It is the first drug considered in the treatment of arthritis.
Here are some health benefits of Colchicum Luteum
The active content is colchicine contained in the corns is useful in relieving pain and inflammation if gout. The seeds, chiefly the rind also contain colchicine and are used in the treatment of gout in the same manner as the corns.
The herb is beneficial in treating rheumatic swelling, it helps to reduce pain and inflammation.
The root powder of Colchicum Luteum is helpful in healing wounds and open cuts.
For Men’s Sexual Problems
Colchicum Luteum is beneficial in the treatment of men’s sexual problems like premature ejaculation, and fatigue, it also helps to increase stamina and sexual power.
How to use Colchicum?
Colchicum Luteum is an active part of many Unani formulations due to the presence of the alkaloid colchicine, which is effective in arthritis, gout, and rheumatism, and is used as a carminative, laxative, and aphrodisiac.
Dosage and uses depend upon the health problems and conditions or as recommended by an Ayurvedic doctor. The general recommended dosage is 3-6 grams of Indian Aloe daily once a day.
Here are the uses of Colchicum Luteum
- Take Colchicum Luteum corms powder and combined it with saffron and eggs, a paste is made and applied on rheumatic and other swellings.
- Take Colchicum Luteum corms powder and mixed with saffron and rock sugar, to make a fine powder. Take this with cow ghee or milk, once a day. It helps to improve sexual power.
- Make a decoction of Colchicum Luteum corms and take once a day after a meal, helps to treat arthritis.
- Take Colchicum Luteum corms sweet powder and mix it with honey, helps to treat cold, cough, asthma, and sore throat.
- Take Colchicum Luteum corms powder and mixed with saffron and egg, applied it to rheumatic and other swellings.
Side Effects Colchicum Luteum
All Ayurveda herbs are plant-based, and they don’ have any side effects but they may react with some allopathy or homeopathy medicine. It is better to consult the doctor if you are on any medications or have special health issues.
Here are some side effects of colchicum luteum
- Consult the doctor if you are breastfeeding.
- Do not take without a doctor’s prescription if you are pregnant.
- If you are on diabetes or on hypertension medication. Consult first the doctor before consuming colchicum luteum.
- Colchicum luteum may interact with other allopathy medicines, consult the doctor before starting colchicum luteum.
- The right dosage is very important for colchicum luteum, over dosage may cause vomiting and diarrhea.
It is very bitter in taste and darkens on exposure to light. It has a similar action as colchicine, but the latter is more active and toxic. When taken in large doses, colchicine causes intestinal pain, diarrhea, and vomiting. That’s why it is suggested to take the right dose of Colchicum Luteum. The excessive use of Colchicum Luteum can cause severe irritation in the intestine.
Note: To contract this, it is advisable to use the drug with belladonna or Hyoscyamus.
Visit Yipisale to buy - Colchicum Luteum