Brief Introduction of Alkanet Root
Alkanet root is a multipurpose herb that has been used in culinary and in Ayurveda, it is also known as a natural food color. The root also has radical scavenging activity and antiaging effects, they are also used for dying and coloring purposes. The root has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and wound healing properties. That is why it is used for various ailments like skin and hair disorders, wounds, diarrhea, gastric ulcers, insomnia, fever, and headache.
In India, it is used in cooking dishes like Rogan josh and tandoori chicken, it is also used in cosmetics like lip balm, lipstick, eye shades, and in hair coloring.
Purpose of the Post
The purpose of this post is to cover all the FAQs related to Alkanet Root, which have been asked multiple times by our customers and on other social platforms, about their uses, benefits, side effects, and so on. Although we have replied to all the questions and resolved the queries, after all these efforts we realized why don’t we assemble all the questions with their answers in one place and post them on Yipisale Blog section.
In that way, we can save customers time, energy, and effort and help them in their purchases. We have done lots of effort to collect valuable questions from our customers, health experts, and marketplaces, and included them in this post. This post will help to save your time and effort, you can check the question list and get the answer without much effort.
FAQs & Facts List of Ratanjot/ Alkanna Tinctoria
- What is Ratanjot called in English?
- What is alkanet used for?
- What are the benefits of Alkanet Root?
- Is alkanet root good for the skin?
- How do you use Alkanet root on hair?
- Is alkanet an herb?
- How do you use alkanet root in a lip balm?
- How do you use alkanet dye?
- What are the side effects of Alkanet Root?
- Why buy Alkanet Root powder from Yipisale?
FAQs Answer List
Q - What is Ratanjot called in English?
Ratanjot English name is Alkanet Root, its botanical name is Alkanna Tinctoria, and some other common names are Anchousa Tinctoria, Alkanet, Alkanna, bugloss, and Dyer's Bugloss.
Q - What is alkanet used for?
Alkanet root is a multipurpose herb that has been used in culinary as a natural food color, in Ayurveda for the treatment of various ailments, in cosmetics for color, and in industries for dyeing. Here are some uses of Alkanet root.
Culinary – It is used in India as a natural food color, it is used in curry, tandoori, desserts, candies, and somewhere it is also used in making pickles.
Ayurveda – It has antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, cooling, and calming properties, it is used in Ayurveda for the treatment of skin and hair disorders, inflammation, infections, diarrhea, and gastric ulcers.
Cosmetics – It is used in cosmetics for coloring purposes in lip balm, lipstick, and hair color, it is also used for making face packs and hair packs.
Industries – It is used for tie & dye and in hand block art.
Q - What are the benefits of Alkanet Root?
Alkanet root has many health benefits, and it is used in Ayurveda for the treatment of various ailments, some are listed below.
- It has antibacterial, antipruritic, astringent, and vulnerary properties.
- It is beneficial to treat diarrhea and stomach ulcers
- It helps to treat wounds and relieve pain.
- It is beneficial to stop hair fall, baldness, and premature greying.
- It is beneficial to protect the skin from any infection and restore inflammation.
Q - Is alkanet root good for the skin?
Yes, alkanet root is good for the skin, its antibacterial and anti-inflammation properties help to treat skin disorders like acne, inflammation, scar, dryness, black spot, itching, and rashes. It can also be good for skin clearing and healing.
Q - How do you use Alkanet root on hair?
Alkanet root can be used in hair to treat various disorders, Mixing the alkanet root powder with coconut oil, and applying it on the scalp, helps to treat hair fall and premature grey hair. Mix the root powder with fuller earth and make a thick paste, apply this pack on hair, it gives shine and natural color.
Q - Is alkanet an herb?
Alkanet is a plant base herb, the root of the plant is widely used for various purposes in culinary, Ayurveda, and industries. It is used as a natural color in cooking, cosmetics, and dying.
Q - How do you use alkanet root in a lip balm?
Alkanet root can be used in lip balm for making tinted lip balm, it is very easy, and you can make it at home. Here is the recipe.
- Beeswax / Soy Wax – 10 grams
- Sweet Almond Oil – 6 grams
- Shea Butter – 6 grams
- Alkanet Root Powder – 4 grams
How to make Tinted Alkanet Root Lip Balm
- Melt 10 grams of Beeswax / Soy Wax with 6 grams of Shea butter
- Add 6 grams of sweet almond oil to the mixture, followed by 1 teaspoon of Alkanet Root powder.
- Pour everything into a small cube-size mold.
- Let cool down in the freezer for about 20 minutes. Don't leave Beeswax / Soy Wax in the freezer for too long or the cold will crack it.
- An incredibly cute solid lip balm which can be used to moisturize your lips.
Q - How do you use alkanet dye?
Alkanet root can be used for dye in different ways, it can be soaked in water for 2-3 days, then strain the water, soak the cotton or wool in this solution for another 24-48 hours, another way is to soak the alkanet root in gin, rum instead of water, for a couple of weeks as this helps to extract the pigment. You can then dilute this well with water, simmer for an hour and then add mordanted wool or cotton.
Q - What are the side effects of Alkanet Root?
All Ayurveda herbs are plant-based, and they don’t have any side effects, but they may react with some allopathy or homeopathy medicine. It is better to consult the doctor if you are on any medications or have special health issues.
Some side effects are mentioned below.
- Consult the doctor if you are breastfeeding.
- Do not take without a doctor’s prescription if you are pregnant.
- If you are on diabetes or on hypertension medication. Consult first with the doctor before consuming.
- If you are suffering from kidney disease, consult the doctor first before consuming Alkanet Root
- Do not take Alkanet Root with liquor, it may interact with it and cause drowsiness.
Q - Why buy Alkanet Root powder from Yipisale?
About the Product
Buying Alkanet Root powder from Yipisale is worthwhile, we have used the best quality Alkanet Root, sundried, and ground them only on an order basis so that our customers get the fresh batch every time. We used a zip and airlock reusable pouch to avoid air contamination.
About the Shipping and Time
We are providing worldwide free shipping on all items, we used Aramex, DHL, and Bombino for shipping our overseas parcels, it helps our customers to track the parcel easily. We usually ship our all orders in 1-2 business days.
About Order Payment
For Overseas Customer - You can use PayPal, Net Banking, Stripe, Debit / Credit Card, Google Pay, and Apple Pay.
For Indian Clients - You can use Net Banking, Stripe, Debit / Credit Card, Google Pay, and Apple Pay.
In this post, we have tried to answer all the questions related to Alkanet Root / Alkanna Tinctoria, please let us know via mail or comment if you have any questions apart from them. We will try to include that in this post.
Note: This post is about educating the benefits and uses of Alkanet Root / Alkanna Tinctoria, consult the Ayurvedic doctor before starting.
Visit Yipisale store to buy - Alkanet Root powder