Table of Contents
|2. What is Solanum Xanthocarpum?|
|3. Ayurvedic properties of Solanum Xanthocarpum berries.|
|4. Health Benefits of Kantakari|
|5. How to Use Surattense nightshade?|
|6. Side Effects of the Yellow-fruit nightshade.|
|7. Frequently Asked Question|
Solanum xanthocarpum, also known as Kantakari or Yellow-fruit nightshade, is a medicinal plant that has been used in traditional Ayurvedic medicine for centuries. Its fruit, leaves, and roots are all used for various health benefits, including respiratory health, digestive issues, and inflammation. However, as with any herbal remedy, it is important to understand the potential side effects before using it.
In this post, we will explore the benefits of Kantakari, how to use it, and the potential side effects of this powerful medicinal plant. Whether you are curious about the benefits of Ayurvedic medicine or are looking for a natural way to improve your health, this post will provide you with the information you need to make an informed decision.
2. What is Solanum Xanthocarpum?
Kantakari or Kateri botanical name is Solanum Xanthocarpum, other common names are Surattense nightshade, yellow-fruit nightshade, yellow-berried nightshade, Thai green eggplant, Thai striped eggplant, Indian nightshade, Choti Kateri.
It is indigenous to India, the plant often grows in wastelands, on the roadside, and in open areas. It is naturally propagated by seeds in wastelands. It is also distributed in Ceylon, Asia, Malaya, Tropical, Australia, and Polynesia
Solanum Xanthocarpum is a prickly branch perennial herb, the branches are densely covered with minute star-shaped hairs. The plant has yellow, shining prickles of about 1.5 cm in size. It has very prickly, sparsely hairy, egg-shaped leaves, flowers are purple, and a glabrous, globular berry, green and white stripes when young, and yellow when mature.
The fruit of the plant yields carpesterol, glucoside-alkaloids, and solanocarpine. It also yields glucoside-alkaloids and solamine-S. The root contains cork comprising 3-6 layers of thin-walled, rectangular, and tangentially elongated cells.
In ancient Ayurveda, this plant is described as pungent, bitter, digestive, alternative, and astringent. Stems, flowers, and fruits are bitter and carminative. Root decoction is used as a febrifuge, effective diuretic, and expectorant.
The whole plant is used traditionally for curing various ailments, the decoction is leaves used in gonorrhea and pain, seeds are used in cough and asthma, roots are used in catarrhal fever, coughs, asthma, and chest pain, and fruits are used in the throat infections and other inflammatory problems.
3. Ayurvedic properties of Solanum Xanthocarpum berries
Solanum xanthocarpum, commonly known as Yellow Berried Nightshade or Kantakari, is a medicinal plant highly valued in Ayurveda for its various therapeutic properties. The berries of Solanum xanthocarpum are one of its essential parts used for medicinal purposes.
Ayurvedic properties of Solanum xanthocarpum berries:
1. Rasa (Taste): The berries of Solanum xanthocarpum are primarily bitter (Tikta) and slightly pungent (Katu) in taste.
2. Virya (Potency): They are heating in nature (Ushna Virya).
3. Vipaka (Post-digestive taste): The post-digestive taste is pungent (Katu Vipaka).
4. Dosha Effects: Solanum xanthocarpum berries primarily balance Kapha dosha and, to a lesser extent, Vata dosha. However, in excess, they may increase Pitta dosha.
Respiratory Health: The berries are highly regarded for their beneficial effects on the respiratory system. They are used to manage respiratory conditions like asthma, bronchitis, and cough due to their bronchodilator, expectorant, and antitussive properties.
Digestive Support: Solanum xanthocarpum berries are used to support healthy digestion and manage digestive disorders like indigestion, flatulence, and constipation.
Anti-inflammatory: They possess anti-inflammatory properties, making them beneficial in managing inflammatory conditions.
Urinary Health: In Ayurveda, the berries are used to support urinary health and manage conditions like urinary tract infections and kidney stones.
Antioxidant: Solanum xanthocarpum berries are rich in antioxidants, which help neutralize free radicals and protect the body from oxidative stress.
Liver Health: They are considered to have hepatoprotective properties, supporting the health and function of the liver.
Cardiovascular Health: Solanum xanthocarpum berries are used to support cardiovascular health and manage certain heart conditions due to their beneficial effects on the circulatory system.
4. What are the Health Benefits of Surattense nightshade?
Solanum Xanthocarpum plant has antiasthmatic, possesses antipyretic, anthelmintic, carminative, stomachic, febrifuge, laxative, rejuvenating, aphrodisiac hepatoprotective, cardiovascular, hypoglycemic, and mosquito repellent properties.
The roots and fruits are the important medical ingredients used by the physician of Ayurveda. They are bitter in taste and a mild purgative; experiments show that the fruits and shoots of the plant possess antibacterial properties.
Here are some major benefits of yellow-fruit nightshade
Kantakari is useful in the treatment of dropsy, a disease marked by an excessive collection of fluids in the tissue and cavities or natural hollows of the body. The drug helps increase secretion and discharge of urine.
The extract of the plant prepared for throat disorder is also very useful in gum disease.
For Respiratory Problems
Kantakari is useful in cleaning catarrh and phlegm from the bronchial tubes. It is therefore used in treating respiratory diseases like asthma, bronchitis, and cough.
For Snake Bites
The root of the Solanum Xanthocarpum has been traditionally sued in snake and scorpion bites. However, the patient should be taken to the doctor without a delay.
For Stomach Problems
Solanum Xanthocarpum can be used to treat constipation and flatulence. It strengthens the stomach and promotes its action. It corrects disordered processes of nutrition and restores the normal functioning of the system. The drug possesses anthelmintic properties and is useful in eliminating intestinal worms.
For Throat Disorder
The herb is useful for throat disorders like sore throat and tonsillitis. An extract of the plant is used as a gargle in such a case.
Solanum Xanthocarpum is beneficial to treat indigestion, it helps to stimulate fire (digestive fire in the stomach) and helps the digested food properly.
Solanum Xanthocarpum is also useful in treating serval other diseases like heart disease, chest pain, certain types of fever, muscular pains, gonorrhea, dysuria, enlargement of the liver, spleen, and stone in the urinary bladder.
The fruit of the plant is also considered useful in treating sore throat, bronchitis, muscular pains, and fever.
Solanum Xanthocarpum has anti-inflammatory benefits by targeting the key factors responsible for inflammation. It is used for the management and prevention of inflammation.
Kantakari is beneficial to prevent liver toxicity, it can be used for liver ailments, and prevent liver damage.
Solanum Xanthocarpum is beneficial in high blood pressure and diabetes, it has a significant blood-glucose-lowering effect.
5. How to Use Indian nightshade?
Dosage and uses depend upon the health problems and conditions or as recommended by an Ayurvedic doctor. The general recommended dosage is 3-6 grams of Solanum Xanthocarpum daily once a day.
Here are some home remedies for Solanum Xanthocarpum / Kantakari
- Take 5 grams of each item, Kantakari fruit powder, and black mustard should be boiled along with the herb.
- A decoction of leaves can be sued for sore throat and tonsillitis.
- Taking 5 grams of fruit powder of Kantakari with water twice a day helps to treat sore throat and muscular pain.
- Take 5 grams of Kantakari fruit powder and mix with rose water, apply this on the skin, gives relief from inflammation.
- Take 1 tbsp powder of Kantakari fruit once a day, gives relief from Aphrodisiac.
- Take 30 ml juice of Kantakari leaves and mix 5 gm of black pepper powder, helps to treat pain and inflammation.
- Take 10 grams of Kantakari root powder and boil it with water, Drink once a day, helps to treat respiratory problems.
- Take 30 ml Kantakari root decoction daily, helps to treat lower back pain.
6. Side Effects of Thai green eggplant
All Ayurveda herbs are plant-based, and they don’ have any side effects but they may react with some allopathy or homeopathy medicine. It is better to consult the doctor if you are on any medications or have special health issues.
Some side effects are mentioned below
- Consult the doctor if you are breastfeeding.
- Do not take without a doctor’s prescription if you are pregnant.
- If you are on diabetes or on hypertension medication. Consult first the doctor before consuming.
- If you are suffering from kidney disease, consult the doctor first before consuming Solanum Xanthocarpum / Kantakari
- Do not take Solanum Xanthocarpum / Kantakari with liquor, it may interact with it and cause drowsiness.
- Do not take Solanum Xanthocarpum / Kantakari if you are suffering from diarrhea, bleeding per rectum, rectal prolapse, or fecal incontinence.
- It is not suggested for children below 12 years of age, the elderly, or physically or mentally weaker persons.