Bahera botanical name is Terminalia Bellirica, some other common names are Belleric MyroBalan, Bibhitaki, bastard myrobalan, baheda, beleric, aksa and balela. The herb is indigenous to India, it is mostly found throughout the county except in the dry regions of Western India. It is more commonly found in mixed deciduous forests.
The word Belleric is taken from the scientific name which distinguishes this myrobalan from the other, chebulic MyroBalan. The dried fruits of the tree constitute the drug bahera and the trade name bahera is based on the Indian name of the tree.
What are the Benefits of Belleric MyroBalan?
Terminalia Bellirica is a large tree often with buttresses, it has large-longish leaves clustered near the ends of branches, small pale green foul-smelling flowers, and egg-shaped, long brownish fruits densely covered with hair.
In Ayurveda, Terminalia bellerica is used for the treatment of various health ailments like conjunctivitis, asthma, migraine, baldness, constipation, and weak eyesight. It contains glycosides, flavonoids, tannins, phenolic compounds, amino acids, and saponins.
Leaves are large, alternate, glabrous, spiral, clustered at the twig ends with the narrowly pointed tips. Young leaves are copper red in color which turn into parrot green and later they become dark green with a dimension of 24cm x 11cm.
The flowers are greenish white or yellow in color and usually appear along with new leaves, and are in axillary, solitary, or clustered spikes. The flowers have a foul smell like honey, they are arranged loosely on thin stalks. The flowering time is from April-May.
The fruits are light yellow in color, egg-shaped long brownish fruits densely covered with hair. It is one-seeded and covered with minute pale pubescence. The fruiting time is from June and matures in September.
What are the Benefits of Belleric Myroblan?
The Belleric Myroblan is bitter in taste, it is a tonic, and a laxative also arrests secretion or bleeding. It is also useful in reducing fevers. The baheda fruit is one of the three constituents of the famous Indian preparation Triphala. The other two are Indian gooseberry and chebulic myroblan.
The whole plant has antibiofilm, anticancer, anti-inflammatory, and antimutagenic properties. The fruit Bahera has analgesic, antidepressant, antidiabetic, antidiarrheal, antifertility, antiandrogenic, antifungal, anthelminthic, antihypertensive, antimicrobial, antioxidant, antipyretic, antisecretory antiulcer, hepatoprotective and wound healing properties.
Here are some health benefits of Belleric Myroblan
Belleric Myroblan is a home remedy for cough, it has antimicrobial and antioxidant properties that help to cough and cold.
For Stomach Disorders
Belleric Myroblan fruit is extremely useful in the treatment of stomach disorders such as indigestion and diarrhea.
The fruit powder is a beneficial home remedy for sore throat and hoarse voice, it has antimicrobial and antioxidant properties.
The half-ripe fruit is considered useful as a purgative, it can be used and beneficial in treating chronic constipation.
For Intestinal Worms
Belleric Myroblan is very effective to remove all intestinal parasites.
For Eye Disorders
The herb can be applied to the eyes as a soothing lotion, it is beneficial in epiphora – that is watering the eyes.
Belleric Myroblan can be used with the gratifying result as a brain tonic, it is also useful in leprosy, piles, dropsy, and fever.
How to Use Bahera?
The whole plant, leaves, and fruits of the plant are extensively used in the traditional system of medicine for various ailments like rheumatism, inflammation, cough and cold, indigestion, and urinary infections.
Dosage and uses depend upon the health problems and conditions or as recommended by an Ayurvedic doctor. The general recommended dosage is 3-6 grams of Terminalia Bellirica daily once a day.
Here are some home remedies for Terminalia Bellirica / Bahera
- Take Terminalia Bellirica fruit powder with salt, long pepper, and honey, is beneficial for cough and cold.
- Make a decoction of fruit pulp of Terminalia Bellirica, take 3-4 grams. Helps to treat stomach disorders.
- Take 1 tsp of Terminalia Bellirica fruit powder with water, twice a day after meal, helps to treat chronic constipation.
- Take Terminalia Bellirica fruit powder with butea seeds powder, it is a very effective anthelmintic.
- Take 5 grams of Terminalia Bellirica fruit powder and used it with a toothbrush to brush the teeth, it helps to reduce gum pain and bad breath.
Side Effects of Bibhitaki
All Ayurveda herbs are plant-based, and they don’ have any side effects but they may react with some allopathy or homeopathy medicine. It is better to consult the doctor if you are on any medications or have special health issues.
Some side effects of Terminalia Bellirica are mentioned below
- Consult the doctor if you are breastfeeding.
- Do not take Terminalia Bellirica without a doctor’s prescription if you are pregnant.
- Do not take Terminalia Bellirica fruit without a doctor’s prescription if you are on any kind of hormonal or sexual-related medication.
- If you are on any health supplements, advise the doctor before starting Terminalia Bellirica.
- If you are on diabetes or on hypertension medication. Consult first the doctor before consuming Terminalia Bellirica.
Herbal Tea for Digestion
If you are suffering from indigestion and want an herbal solution to this problem, then this tea is best. This is an herbal tea that can be made at home with minimal effort. Here is the recipe for the tea.
- Terminalia Bellirica Fruit Powder – 2 tsp
- Indian Gooseberry Powder – 1 tsp
- Terminalia Chebula Powder – 1 tsp
- Piper Cubeba Fruit Powder – 1 tsp
- Black Salt – ¼ tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Roasted Ground Cumin – ¼ tsp
- Take a pan and boil 2 cups of water.
- Add all the ingredients except lemon juice.
- Boil for 3-5 minutes, then turn off the gas.
- Pour the tea into a cup and add lemon juice, mix it well and drink hot. You can also add honey.
Visit Yipisale to buy - Terminalia Bellirica Fruit Powder, Indian Gooseberry Powder, Terminalia Chebula Powder, Piper Cubeba Fruit Powder
Visit Yipisale to know more about - Indian Gooseberry Powder, Terminalia Chebula Powder
Frequently Asked Question