What is Trailing Eclipta?
False Daisy botanical name is Eclipta prostrata, some common names are eclipta prostrata, bhringraj, yerba de tago, Gunta kalagaraku/Gunta, Eclipta prostrata, galagaraku, Karisalankanni, mayweed, poison daisy, stinking chamomile. It is mainly found in India, Brazil, Thailand, and China. and grows as a common weed throughout the country on hills up to 2,000 meters high.
It is a small, erect, or prostrate, many-branched coarsely haired annual herb, it grows up to 30 cm in height. The herb contains alkaloid ecliptine, it also contains alkaloid nicotine and resin. The leaves have water and soft cellulose content. Trailing Eclipta is popularly known as the “King of hairs”
The leaves are simple ecliptic, hairy, ovate to oblong, and variable in shape, they have short teeth on the margins that point toward the leaf apex and are dark green in color. Leaves are sessile, opposite, and narrow to the base with a rough feel on the upper surface. The leaves of the false daisy promote the in ayurvedic medicine, the leaf extract is considered
It is a powerful liver tonic, rejuvenating, and especially good for the hair of the bile, they have a slightly bitter and acrid taste. The plants are considered a Rasayana for longevity and rejuvenation.
The flowers are green in early-stage then white with short rays, they are in axillary or terminal 1-3 capitula. The trailing eclipta flowers are round with 6-8 mm diameter and achene compressed and narrowly winged. The flowering time of trailing eclipta is from December-May.
The stem is cylindrical or flat in shape with reddish-purple in color, they are rough due to appressed white hairs.
What are the Benefits of Bhringraj?
This plant is known to have various pharmacological properties and is traditionally used in the treatment of epilepsy. The fresh plant, leaves, and roots are all used for medicinal purposes, the fresh plant and the leaves are tonics. They correct the disordered processes of nutrition and restore the normal functioning of the system.
They also facilitate the secretion or excretion by opening the natural passage and pores of the body like on the skin. The roots and the leaf of the plant promote the flow of bile. It is advisable not to take only the leaves but to mix them with other bland leaves or some other medium.
It has antimicrobial, antinociceptive, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, hepatoprotective, and immunomodulatory properties. In Ayurveda, the plant is considered a Rasayana for longevity and rejuvenation.
Here are some health benefits of the Trailing Eclipta
For Catarrh in Babies
The juice of the plant is useful for newborn babies suffering from catarrh.
The Bhringraj leaves give relives from a feverishness and induce a feeling of coolness, the fresh juice of the plant is beneficial.
For Liver and Spleen Disorder
Trailing Eclipta is useful in the enlargement of the liver, spleen, and other liver disorders, leaves of the plant can also be used for these disorders and for jaundice.
For Premature greying of Hair
This herb is very useful and beneficial to control premature grey hairs, it helps to promote hair growth when accompanied by other herbs.
For Skin Disorders
It is good for glandular swellings, elephantiasis, and other skin diseases, it helps to give relief from chronic glandular swellings, skin diseases, and wounds as a styptic or astringent.
For Uterine Hemorrhages
Trailing Eclipta is useful in herbs and beneficial in case of Hemorrhages or bleeding.
For Hair Growth
The leaves of the plant are beneficial for promoting hair growth.
Visit Yipisale to buy - Ayurvedic Pure Herbs
Visit Yipisale to buy - Spices & Seasonings
How to Use False Daisy?
Dosage and uses depend upon the health problems and conditions or as recommended by an Ayurvedic doctor. The general recommended dosage is 3-6 grams of False Daisy / Trailing Eclipta daily once a day.
Here are some dosages and uses of False Daisy / Trailing Eclipta
- Take two drops of trailing eclipta leaf juice and mix with 8 drops of honey, it is an herbal remedy to treat catarrh in babies.
- Take 2-8 ml juice of fresh leaves with cardamom and cinnamon of the plant, it is beneficial in fever.
- Take fresh leaves juice and mixed with peppercorns and curd, helps to give relief from liver and spleen disorders.
- Take 2 tbsp of trailing eclipta powder and mix with black sesame seeds and Indian Gooseberry powder, take this mixture with milk and sugar. Helps to treat premature grey hairs.
- Take trailing eclipta powder and mixed with sesame seed oil, apply this paste over the affected area. Helps to treat a skin disorder.
- Make a leaves decoction of 60-120 ml and take it twice a day, helps to treat hemorrhages or bleeding.
- Take 5 grams of each powder, trailing eclipta leaf, mix with mustard or onion oil and apply this on the scalp, which helps to control premature grey hairs.
Side Effects of the Eclipta Prostrata
All Ayurveda herbs are plant-based, and they don’ have any side effects but they may react with some allopathy or homeopathy medicine. It is better to consult the doctor if you are on any medications or have special health issues.
Some side effects are mentioned below
- Consult the doctor if you are breastfeeding.
- Do not take without a doctor’s prescription if you are pregnant.
- If you are on diabetes or on hypertension medication. Consult first the doctor before consuming.
- If you are suffering from kidney disease, consult the doctor first before consuming Eclipta Prostrata
- Do not take Eclipta Prostrata with liquor, it may interact with it and cause drowsiness.
Homemade Herbal Hair Pack for Grey Hair and Hair Fall
Try this hair pack at home, it is best to control grey hairs and promotes hair growth. Use this hair pack 2 times a month, you will see the visible results after 4-5 months.
- Trailing Eclipta Leaf Powder – 2 tbsp
- Red Onion Juice – 2 tsp
- Indian gooseberry Powder – 2 tbsp
- Bacopa Monnieri – 1 tbsp
- Butea Monosperma – 1 tbsp
- Acacia Concinna Pods Powder – 1 tbsp
- Take a bowl and add all the ingredients in it, to make a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste to your scalp and on hairs.
- Leave it for 35-40 minutes.
- Wash hair with normal water.
- Then apply mustard oil after the hair is completely dry.
- Wash with shampoo after 2-3 days of the pack.