Gudbach botanical name is Acorus Calamus, other common names are sweet flag, calamus, vacha, acorus, and sweet calomel. It is a semi-aquatic perennial herb and cultivated in damp marshy places. It is native to India and is mainly found in Manipur, Naga hills, and on the edges of lakes and streams.
Acorus Calamus Leaves
The leaves are long slender sword-like shaped and the midvein is usually off-center. It contains oxalic acid and calcium, and they produce a sweet, tangerine-like scent on cuts and blend. The fresh leaves can be used to flavor custards in the same way as vanilla pods. The essential oil from leaves is used in making flavoring vinegar.
Acorus Calamus Flower
The flowers are cylindrical in shape, greenish-brown, and covered in a multitude of rounded spikes. The flowering time is early to late summer depending on the latitude
Acorus Calamus Fruit
The fruits are small and berry-like, containing 1-3 oblong seeds, they are yellowish in color.
Acorus Calamus Root
The dried roots constitute the drug calamus which is used in medicine, the dry roots of the Acorus Calamus contain a yellow aromatic oil. This essential oil contains calamen, calamenos, calameon, and asarone.
The root is mainly used in Ayurveda for medicinal purposes. Dry Acorus Calamus Root has been used by sages and rishis since ancient times due to its ayurvedic medicinal benefits.
The dried and powdered rhizome has a spicy flavor and is used as a substitute for ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Acorus Calamus Health Benefits
In Ayurvedic medicinal practice in India, rhizomes have been used to cure several diseases like fever, asthma, and bronchitis, and as a sedative. The Acorus Calamus root has great medicinal values, they have aromatic stimulant, bitter tonic, and expectorant.
Acorus Calamus root has antibacterial, insecticidal, anti-ulcerative, antimicrobial, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cellular properties. It relieves flatulence, counteracts spasmodic disorder, and induces vomiting. It also has laxative, diuretic, and aphrodisiac properties and it also regulates the menstrual periods.
Acorus Calamus root is effective on various respiratory disorders like cold, cough flu, Asthma, and infections in respiratory.
Let’s check the Acorus Calamus Health Benefits for various diseases
Acorus Calamus root is highly beneficial in treating asthma, it removes catarrhal matter and phlegm from the bronchial tubes.
For Common Cold
The herb is useful in treating the common cold, it helps to give relief from common cold and flu symptoms.
For Diarrhea and Dysentery
The Acorus Calamus root is a great and effective remedy in Ayurveda for the treatment of Chronic Diarrhea, the presence of tannins also makes it an effective remedy in chronic dysentery. Its infusion can be given to children suffering from these ailments.
For Intestinal Worms
The Acorus Calamus root powder is very effective in expelling intestinal worms.
For Mouth Disorder
The Acorus Calamus root is useful in the treatment of mouth ulcers, it helps to give relief from inflammation.
For Stomach Disorder
It helps to give relief from the heavy stomachs by expelling flatulence and colic. It helps to reduce the accumulation of gas in the stomach.
For Whooping Cough
The root of Acorus Calamus is a beneficial and effective home remedy for children suffering from whooping cough. It helps to prevent severe bouts of coughing.
For Acidity and Gas
The Acorus Calamus root has an antiulcer agent as it helps in controlling acidity and gastric acid secretion. It helps to reduce the risk of stomach ulcers ulcer by improving digestion.
Visit Yipisale to buy - Ayurvedic Pure Herbs
Visit Yipisale to buy - Spices & Seasonings
Acorus Calamus Uses and Dosages
Dosage and uses depend upon the health problems and conditions or as recommended by an Ayurvedic doctor. The general recommended dosage is 3-6 grams of Acorus Calamus daily once a day.
Here are some home remedies for Acorus Calamus / Sweet Flag
- Take 5-10 grams of root powder of sweet flag thrice a day, gives relief from asthma.
- A small piece of root is roasted and powdered; a pinch of powder taken with honey gives relief from the common cold.
- Take 5 grams root powder of Acorus Calamus and mix with honey, apply gently it on tongue and mouth skin, gives relief from mouth ulcers.
- The brunt root powder mixed with refined coconut oil, apply over the abdomen, gives relief from stomach disorder.
- Take 5-6 grams of roasted powder of Acorus Calamus root and mix with honey, gives relief from whooping cough.
- Take 3 grams of each, Acorus Calamus root and Triphala powder, mix them and take with water, reduce reduces fat on the belly and thigh.
- Take 5 grams powder of Acorus Calamus root and mix with rose water, apply it on the face. Give you glowing skin and control various skin infections.
Acorus Calamus Side Effects
All Ayurveda herbs are plant-based, and they don’ have any side effects but they may react with some allopathy or homeopathy medicine. It is better to consult the doctor if you are on any medications or have special health issues.
- Avoid taking Acorus Calamus, after the surgery or with any nervous medication. Can cause too much sleepiness.
- Acorus Calamus is not recommended without a doctor’s advice if a person is allergic and hypersensitive.
- Consult the doctor if you are breastfeeding.
- Do not take without a doctor’s prescription if you are pregnant.
- If you are suffering from kidney disease, consult the doctor first before consuming Acorus Calamus / Sweet Flag
- If you are on diabetes or on hypertension medication. Consult first the doctor before consuming.
- If you are suffering from kidney disease, consult the doctor first before consuming Acorus Calamus / Sweet Flag.
Acorus Calamus Root Tea Recipe – Gudbach
This is a relaxing and calming tea; you can add to your evening menu and enjoy the benefits of Acorus Calamus.
- Acorus Calamus Root Powder - 1 tsp
- Green Tea – 1 tsp
- Honey – ½ tsp
- Water – 1 ½ cup
- Clove – 1
- Dry Ginger Powder – ¼ tsp
- Take a pan and boil the water.
- Add all the ingredients except honey, and boil for 2 minutes.
- Pour the tea into a cup with the help of a tea strainer.
- Mix the honey and drink hot.
Visit Yipisale store to buy - Acorus Calamus