Holy basil botanical name is Ocimum tenuiflorum, other common names are Tulsi, Sacred Basil, ocimum sanctum, or Tulasi, it is mainly found in India and is known as a sacred plant. In India, people worship the plant, and it is found in Indian houses and temples. The leaves of the plant are mainly used in Ayurveda for medicinal preparation since ancient times, leaves are also used in the worship of God.
Holy basil has been known since Vedic times and is regarded as an earthly manifestation of goddess Vrindavani who is said to be dear to Lord Vishnu.
The plant has many branches, erect, stout, and aromatic herbs, it grows up to the height of 75 cm and is hairy all over. The leaves of the plant are tender, egg-shaped, and smooth, it has a bitter and pungent taste. Flowers are small purplish or reddish and are in small compact clusters. Fruits are small and yellowish or reddish with seed.
Holy Basil Leaves
The leaves of holy basil are used in making essential oils that contain eugenol, carvacrol, methyl eugenol, and caryophyllene. It has the property of destroying bacteria and insects. The leaves have also been separated to yield ursolic acid, apigenin, luteolin, apigenin-7, glucuronide, orientin, and molludistin.
What are the Benefits of Holy Basil?
The plant has medicinal properties, the leaves are beneficial as a nerve tonic, sharpen memory, promote the removal of the catarrhal matter and phlegm from the bronchial tubes, strengthen stomach muscles and induce copious perspiration.
The seeds are mucilaginous, starchy, and nourishing, they are beneficial to soothe the skin and the mucous membranes and increase the volume of urine.
Here are some benefits listed
For Cough & Cold
It is beneficial for cough and cold, decoction of holy basil is used to treat cough and cold. Chewing raw leaves is also beneficial for the soaring throat.
For Eye Disorder
Basil juice is an effective remedy for sore eyes and night blindness which is generally caused by vitamin
The leaves of basil are the specific remedy for many fevers, during the rainy season when dengue and malaria fever are widely prevalent, basil tea is beneficial to protect against these diseases.
Basil is a very good remedy for headaches, a decoction or pounded leaves are used to get relief from headaches.
Ocimum tenuiflorum is beneficial in cardiac disease and the resultant weakness. It reduces the level of blood cholesterol.
For Insect Bite
Holy basil is a prophylactic, preventive and curative for insect stings and bites. The root juice is effective in cases of bites by insects and leeches.
For Kidney Stone
Basil is beneficial for kidney stones, studies say that if basil is taken regularly for six months, can treat the kidney stone.
For Mouth Infections
The leaves are an effective remedy for ulcers and infections of the mouth, fresh leaves are beneficial for gums problems, bad breath, and cavities.
For Skin Disorder
Holy basil is beneficial in many skin problems like eczema, pimples, inflammation, ringworms, and other skin diseases. It has also been used in some treatments of leukoderma.
For Sore Throat
Boiled basil leaf water is beneficial for sore throat, it helps to clean the mucus and reduce the swelling and soreness.
Basil leaves are regarded as an adaptogen or anti-stress agent. Studies show that leaves afford significant protection against stress. It purifies the blood and helps to prevent several common ailments.
For Teeth Disorder
This herb is useful in teeth disorders. It is very beneficial for maintaining dental health, counteracting bad breath, and massaging the gums. It is also beneficial in treating pyorrhea.
Holy basil is beneficial in gout and gonorrhea, it is a well-known remedy for earache and dullness of hearing. It is used as a snuff for expelling maggots from the nose.
Visit Yipisale to buy - Ayurvedic Pure Herbs
Visit Yipisale to buy - Spices & Seasonings
How to use Ocimum Tenuiflorum?
Dosage and uses depend upon the health problems and conditions or as recommended by an Ayurvedic doctor. The general recommended dosage is 5-10 grams of Ocimum tenuiflorum of leaves twice a day before an hour of a meal. A decoction of the leaf with honey and water can also be used.
Here are the uses of the Holy Basil
- Take a decoction of holy basil leaf, which is helpful in gout and gonorrhea. It is also useful in neuralgia.
- A few drops of holy basil fresh leaves in the ear, gives relief from earache and dullness of hearing.
- Take 10 grams of holy basil seeds, and be immersed in cold water for 3-5 minutes, take this mixture with sugar, help to treat diarrhea, piles, cough, kidney disorder, and fever.
- Take 5 grams of powder of dried leaves and mix with mustard oil to make a fine paste. Massage gently on gums and teeth.
- Chew 12 leaves of holy basil twice a day, helps to prevent stress.
- Take 10-12 holy basil leaves or 5 grams of basil powder, mix with water, and boiled it. Mix ¼ tsp of salt and use this water to gargle, gives relief from sore throat.
- Take fresh juice of holy basil leaf and apply it to the affected skin area, giving relief from ringworm, eczema, and other skin problems.
- Make a decoction of leaves with honey and ginger, it is helpful in asthma, influenza, cough, and cold.
- Two drops of black basil leaves should be put into the eyes daily at bedtime.
- Make a holy basil leaf decoction with half a liter of water mixed with powdered cardamom, rock sugar, and milk. Helps to h=give relief from malaria, and dengue.
- Holy basil leaves juice with honey taken for 6 months and expels stones via the urinary tract.
- Apply fresh root juice of holy basil on the affected part of insects and leeches, giving relief.
What are the Side-Effects of Tulsi?
All Ayurveda herbs are plant-based, and they don’ have any side effects but they may react with some allopathy or homeopathy medicine. It is better to consult the doctor if you are on any medications or have special health issues.
Some side effects are mentioned below.
- Consult the doctor if you are breastfeeding.
- Do not take without a doctor’s prescription if you are pregnant.
- If you are on diabetes or hypertension medication. Consult first the doctor before consuming.
- If you are suffering from kidney disease, consult the doctor first before consuming holy basil.
- If you are on blood-thinning medication, consult the doctor first before consuming holy basil.
- If you are on stress or anxiety medication, consult the doctor first before consuming holy basil.
Visit Yipisale to buy Holy Basil Leaf Powder
Visit Yipisale to buy Holy Basil Seed Powder
Frequently Asked Question
Q - What is Ocimum tenuiflorum used for?
Ocimum tenuiflorum is used in Ayurveda for medicinal preparation since ancient times, leaves are also used in the worship of God. The leaves are beneficial as a nerve tonic, sharpen memory, promote the removal of the catarrhal matter, and phlegm from the bronchial tubes, strengthen stomach muscles and induce copious perspiration.