What is Argyreia Nervosa?
Vidhara Mool botanical name is Argyreia Nervosa, some common names are elephant creeper, wooly morning glory, silver morning glory, hawaiian baby woodrose, silky elephant glory, samudrasosh, and vidhara, it is mainly found in India and Africa. It is an evergreen flower plant that is traditionally used in Indian ancient medicine.
Argyreia Nervosa Leaves
They are large and heart-shaped with pointed tips and silky whiteish hair underside, they are alternatively arranged on the stem with long stalks. The lower surface of the leaf is covered with hair, which gives the leaf a silvery soft look and the upper surface of the leaf is green, and glabrous, and shows the markings of nerves by slight depressions. The leaves have antiphlogistic, emollient properties and they are used for skin diseases and wounds. The silky side of the leaf is used to treat tumors, boils, sores, and carbuncles.
Traditionally leaves are used by Rajasthani tribes to prevent conception. In Assam, Bihar the leaves are eaten as vegetables.
Argyreia Nervosa Flowers
They are vary in color from pale pinkish to white with a much darker color from dark pink to violet. The petals are fused together in a tube and come with clusters on long stalks and are covered in white hairs.
Argyreia Nervosa Fruit
It is a rounded berry shaped hard and globose and surrounded by the five persistent sepals, each fruit contains 4-6 large seeds that are light or dark brown in color. The fruit contains triacontanol, sitosterol hydroxycinnamoyl octadecenoate, and caffeic acid. The flowering and fruiting time of Argyreia Nervosa is August to September.
Argyreia Nervosa Root
It is a very useful herb in Ayurveda, it is a bitter, aphrodisiac, diuretic, alterative, and tonic. The root of this plant is regarded as alterative, tonic, and useful in rheumatic affections, and diseases of the nervous system. It is medium brown in color, and whole and powder of the root are used in Ayurvedic preparations.
What are the Benefits of Vidhara mool / Argyreia Nervosa root?
Argyreia Nervosa root has appetizer, anemia, aphrodisiac, anti-inflammatory, brain-tonic and cardiotonic, antiulcer, antidiabetic, and antitumor properties. The root of this plant forms an ingredient that is known as Ajmodadi Churna, which is useful in rheumatic affections and hemiplegia. It is used in traditional medicine for many generations without any known toxic symptoms. Here are some benefits of Argyreia Nervosa root.
It has anti-inflammatory properties which are used in the treatment of inflammatory conditions, the roots have an ethanolic compound that gives relief from inflammation after 3 hours of consumption.
Argyreia Nervosa root contains antioxidants that help to boost immunity and protect against normal flu and virus diseases.
The root of vidhara mool contains hepatoprotective and antioxidant properties that help to promote liver health and protect from liver damage.
It has anti-diabetic and ethanolic properties which help to reduce blood sugar and maintain a healthy level of blood sugar and treat diabetes.
For Infertility in Men
It is a valuable and effective herbal medicine for stimulating male sexual activity, it promotes fertility as increased sperm count, sperm motility, follicle-stimulating hormone release, and synthesis. It is effective to treat male impotence and sterility, with some preparation of other herbs.
It is an alternative tonic that is useful in the treatment of the nervous system, and it has anticonvulsant and neuroleptic properties. It helps to reduce stress and anxiety and relax the brain.
It has the aphrodisiac property that helps to increase sperm count in men and increase the chances of male offspring.
Visit Yipisale to buy - Ayurvedic Pure Herbs
Visit Yipisale to buy - Spices & Seasonings
How to use Argyreia Nervosa?
Dosage and uses depend upon the health problems and conditions or as recommended by an Ayurvedic doctor. The general recommended dosage is 5-10 grams of Argyreia Nervosa root twice a day before an hour of a meal. A decoction of the root with honey and water can also be used. Here are some uses of Argyreia Nervosa root.
- Take 5 grams of powder of Argyreia Nervosa root with 1 cup of milk once a day, helps to reduce pain during urination.
- Take 2 grams Argyreia Nervosa root powder with water twice a day, after a meal. Helps to control diabetes.
- A decoction of Argyreia Nervosa root powder and goat milk, helps to treat male sexual problems.
- Take 5 grams powder of Argyreia Nervosa root with water twice a day on empty stomach, helps to cure gastral problems and gastric ulcers.
- Take 2 grams powder of Argyreia Nervosa root and mix it with honey, which helps to cure a cold and cough and improve your voice.
- Take 5 grams of Argyreia Nervosa root and cooked in ghee, take it with milk, helps to cure reproduction problems.
- In tribal areas Argyreia Nervosa root powder with country liquor in a 3:1 ratio is taken to control gonorrhoea.
- Take 5 grams powder of each, Argyreia Nervosa root, ghee, and rock sugar, and mix them well. Take this mixture twice a day, helpful in heavy periods and leucorrhea.
Side Effects of Argyreia Nervosa Root
- It is not recommended for breastfeeding women and for pregnant women.
- Consult the doctor if you are on any supplement or on dietary medicine.
- If you are on any medication, first consult the doctor before starting to take Argyreia Nervosa.
- If you are on diabetes or high blood sugar medication, consult the doctor first before starting Argyreia Nervosa.
- It may interact with some allopathy and homeopathy medicine, consult the doctor if you are taking any of these.
Argyreia Nervosa Green Tea Recipe
It is a very simple and easy tea that you can make at home in minutes, it helps to cure health problems and boost the immunity of the body, here are the simple steps to make Argyreia Nervosa Green Tea.
- Argyreia Nervosa Root powder – ½ tsp
- Green Tea – ½ tsp
- Holy Basil Leaves – 1 sprig
- Cinnamon powder – ¼ tsp
- Water – 2 cups
- Take a pan and add water, boil the water, and add all the ingredients.
- Reduce it to 1 cup and strain the tea into a cup.
- Add lemon or honey as per your taste.
Visit Yipisale to know more about - Holy Basil Leaves