What is Ziziphus Jujuba?
Indian Jujube botanical name is Ziziphus Jujuba, other common names are unnab ber, Indian plum, Chinese date, Chinese apple, zizyphus vulgaris, jujube, ziziphus mauritiana. It is mainly found throughout India and in the outer Himalayas up to 1,350 m. Ziziphus Jujuba is one of the hardiest fruit trees, it is a small thorny evergreen tree with vine-like branches and dark green leaves.
The leaves are glossy green, ovate, lanceolate in shape, and alternate. They are 1-3 inches in length and the tips of the leaves are rounded with three conspicuous veins at the base. The leaves are antipyretic and reduce obesity.
The fruits are egg-shaped and orange or brown in color, with edible acid pulp and hard central stone. The fruit has two varieties – the wild one called Jharberi, which is small and round, while cultivated fruit is oval, fleshy, and bigger in size. It is sweeter as compared to the smaller kind. The fruit is cooling, digestible, tonic,
The Ziziphus Jujuba fruit has an aphrodisiac and laxative properties that remove biliousness, burning sensations, thirst, and vomiting and is also good in treating tuberculosis and blood diseases.
Flowers have sepals that are dorsally tomentose, they are golden yellow in color with 4-5 petals, and they have acrid smell. The size of the flower is less than 1 inch, and the flowering time is late spring to early summer.
Ziziphus Jujuba Nutritional Value
An analysis shows Ziziphus contains moisture 81.6 percent, protein 0.8 percent, fat 0.3 percent, minerals 0.3 percent, and carbohydrates 17.0 percent per 100 grams. Its minerals and vitamin contents are calcium, phosphorus, iron, carotene, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, and vitamin C. Its calorific value is 74, both fruit varieties contain Ziziphus acid and tannins.
What are the Health Benefits of Indian Jujube?
The Indian Jujube has aphrodisiac, hypnotic-sedative, anxiolytic, anticancer, antifungal, antibacterial, antiulcer, anti-inflammatory, cognitive, antispastic, antifertility/contraception, hypotensive and antinephritic, cardiotonic, antioxidant, immunostimulant, and wound healing properties.
Ziziphus jujuba contains flavonoids, saponins, tannins, vitamin a, vitamin b, sugars, mucilage, calcium, phosphate & iron. It is used in Ayurveda to treat various health ailments.
Here are some health benefits of Indian Jujube
For Cold and Influenza
It is useful in preventing frequent attacks of cold and influenza, it helps to improve body immunity to fight against viruses and bacteria.
The leaves of Ziziphus jujuba are valuable in treating conjunctivitis, an infusion of the leaves should be used as an eye lotion.
For Hair Disorder
The leaves of the plant are beneficial for hair problems like hair fall, grey hair, and hair growth, leaves help to clean and prevent the scalp from disease. It also lengthens the hair and darkens them.
For Mental Retardation
Ziziphus jujuba fruits are beneficial in the treatment of mental retardation, they increase the functioning of the brain by releasing more glutamic acid into the bloodstream.
For Mouth Disorder
The fresh leaf of the plant helps to treat sore throat, reduce inflammation of the mouth, and bleeding from the gums, and health the cracked tongue due to excessive consumption of sour fruits.
The fresh and baked leaves mixed with castor oil, apply on plies, help to treat piles.
For Skin Disorder
Ziziphus jujuba leaves give an excellent result on boils, carbuncles, and abscesses to promote suppuration. It also gives relief from painful boils and styes.
For Stomach Disorder
The bark is used for the treatment of diarrhea. Dysentery and colic. It helps to treat constipation and ease bowel movements.
How to Use Unnab Ber / Ziziphus jujuba?
Dosage and uses depend upon the health problems and conditions or as recommended by an Ayurvedic doctor. The general recommended dosage is 3-6 grams of Unnab Ber / Ziziphus jujuba daily once a day.
Here are some dosages and uses of Unnab Ber / Ziziphus jujuba
- Take 1 tsp of Ziziphus jujuba fruit powder with water, helps to purify the blood and aids digestion.
- Take 1 tsp of Unnab Ber fruit powder and mix with a pinch of black pepper, take this once daily to prevent cold.
- Take 50 grams of leaves powder of Unnab Ber and mix with water to make a paste, apply this on your scalp. Helps to clean the scalp and prevent scalp disease.
- Take 2 tsp of Unnab Ber leaf powder and mix with 1 tsp of lime juice, apply it on the face. It helps to treat a skin disorder.
- Take bark infusion 1tsp once a day daily, helps to treat diarrhea and colic.
- Take 2 tsp of Ziziphus jujuba fruit powder and boiled with half a liter of water till reduces to half. Add sugar or honey for taste and take daily at night before retiring. Helps to give relief from mental retardation.
Side Effects of Ziziphus Jujuba
All Ayurveda herbs are plant-based, and they don’ have any side effects but they may react with some allopathy or homeopathy medicine. It is better to consult the doctor if you are on any medications or have special health issues.
Some side effects are mentioned below
- Consult the doctor if you are breastfeeding.
- Do not take without a doctor’s prescription if you are pregnant.
- If you are on diabetes or on hypertension medication. Consult first the doctor before consuming.
- If you are on sedatives, consult first the doctor before consuming.
Ziziphus Jujuba Detox Tea
This detox tea is enriched with vitamin C, which helps to increase immunity and metabolism of the body and keeps you fit, healthy, and away from cold and flu.
- Ziziphus Jujuba Fruit Powder – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon Powder – ¼ tsp
- Dry Ginger Powder – ¼ tsp
- Nutmeg Powder – ¼ tsp
- Saffron Strads – 5-6
- Water – 2 cups
- Clove - 2 buds
- Take a tea pan and add the water, boil it.
- Add all the ingredients and boil it for 3-5 minutes
- Pour the tea into a cup with help of a tea filter. Add fresh lime juice and honey.
- Drink Hot. You can also add black salt instead of honey.
Visit Yipisale Store to Buy - Ziziphus Jujuba Fruit Powder