Are you searching for Brass Biryani Handi and not sure quality, size, and uses? This post will help you and provide all the details about brass handi. So let’s check it out.
Brass is a composition of copper and zinc; it produces melanin which is good for hair and skin. It also helps to boost immunity and does not promptly worm infestations. That’s why in the olden days people cook in brass pots. Brass is a good conductor of heat and distributes even heat that’s why it retains 93% of nutrition from the food.
Brass pot or handi is good for chicken and mutton because it distributes even heat that makes tender, juicy, and succulent meat.
Types Of Brass Handi
There are three types of brass handi, tin polished, without tin polish, and brass sipri. Some are in hammered design and some are in solid. All brass pots are good for cooking dum biryani, curries, and soups. Brass handis are wider from the bottom and narrows from the top it helps to keep heat in the pot and cook perfect dum biryani. Handi has a curved and heavy bottom but is not wobbly and can be easily fit on heating sources like LPG gas stoves, open fire. Brass Sipri is narrow from the bottom and wider from the top, it is good for curries and soups.
- Brass handi without tin polish: This is multipurpose brass handi, you can use for cooking and water storage. Drinking water from brass pots helps to increase strength and immunity. It also helps in proper digestion, improved heart rate, relief from anemia, and excessive body pain. While cooking in brass handi you should remember one thing that if the food contains any kind of acidic element like sour tomato, vinegar, lime, or lemon, prefer tin polish handi for cooking. The reason is acidic food reacts with brass and it ruins the food.
- Tin polished brass handi: Brass reacts with acidic food, and it’s added the toxic element in the food that’s why some people used tin polish brass handi for cooking. Tin layer or coating in brass handi protects from corrosion and it works as a safe substance between the food and metal. That’s why brass handi with inside tin polish is good and healthy for cooking.
- What is tin polish: Tin is an oxide polishing powder which use in stone & metal. In kitchen it is basically used on brass and copper utensil to avoid the food from any reaction. It creates layer between food and brass metal that protects brass from corrosion.
Uses of Brass Handi
It can be used for multipurpose like cooking and storing water. You can cook any kind of biryani like Dum biryani, chicken, and mutton biryani, veg biryani, vegetable stock, chicken stock, soups, gravies & curries.
Sizes of Brass Handi
The sizes are available in the market starting from 2 liters to 30 liters. You must know first which size is better for your cooking. Sizes are depending upon how much quantity of rice, meat, and vegetable you are planning to cook. You can check the size in the table below, you can reduce the quantity of rice, meat, and veggies according to the recipe.
Here is the list of sizes
- 3 Liter – Half kg rice and half kg meat and veggies.
- 5 Liter – 1.25 kg rice with 1 kg meat and veggies.
- 8 Liter – 2.5 kg rice with 2 kg meat and veggies.
- 10 Liter – 3.5 kg rice, 2.5 kg meat and veggies.
- 12 Liter – 4.5 kg rice, 3 kg meat and veggies.
- 15 Liter – 6 kg rice, 4 kg meat and veggies.
- 20 Liter – 8 kg rice, 5 kg meat and veggies.
- 30 Liter – 12 kg rice, 6 kg meat and veggies.
What heat source brass handi support?
All brass handi comes in the round bottom and it supports an LPG gas stove, open fire. Direct heat is good for cooking in brass pots. It will not work on induction, halogen, or any kind of electric heat source.
How to clean brass handi?
Cleaning of brass handi is very easy, first, let it cool after cooking, and then add Lukewarm water for some time to remove stuck food. Then take mild soap or Pitambari powder for cleaning of the handi and gently clean with hands. You can use the dishwasher for cleaning handis. When cleaning is done, let it completely dry, then store it in a dry place. Brass reacts with moisture, and it may get a black stain that’s why put the handi in a plastic bag.