Brief Introduction of Post
Bryonia Laciniosa and Putranjiva Roxburghii both are excellent herbal medicines for women’s infertility and health problems. Bryonia Laciniosa works on the urinary tract, and it is also known as Uterine Tonic, Putranjiva Roxburghii works on women’s health problems, and reproductive systems, like the uterus and ovaries. Let’s take a deep dive and learn about both herbs in detail.
1. What is Bryonia Laciniosa (Shivlingi)?
Shivlingi seed's botanical name is Bryonia Laciniosa linna and some common names are aivirali seed and Bryonia and diplocyclos palmatus, it is mainly found in India, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Gujrat, Uttrakhand parts. The plant is known for its seeds which resemble the “Shivling” icon of Lord Shiva. The flower of the plant is greenish-yellow in color and ovate in shape, the fruits of the plant are spherical and yellowish-green in color. Flowering and fruiting of the plant are from April to December in Indian conditions.
Bryonia Laciniosa linna leaves, seeds, and fruits are mainly used in Ayurveda for their medicinal benefits. The main chemical compounds of the plant are punicic acid, goniothalamin, and glucomannan. According to Ayurveda, Shivlingi seeds are best in cases of impotence and oligospermia if the patient has excess Kapha Dosha or symptoms of increased or aggravated Kapha.
Shivlingi seeds are pungent and bitter in taste and have hot potency, and they are embraced with three Gunas, laghu, ruksha and tikshna. The main effect of shivlingi seeds on the body parts is the ovaries, uterus, and testes. It specifies the Kapha dosha and increases pitta doshas.
It is a uterine tonic and improves the chances of conception in women who are suffering from infertility. It is also a fertility enhancer herb that is used in Ayurveda along with some other medicinal benefits.
2. Benefits of Bryonia Laciniosa (Shivlingi)
Shivlingi beej is one such unnoticed folk medicine that shows good results for counteracting infertility. It has analgesic, antipyretic, anticonvulsant, antimicrobial, cytotoxic, antiasthmatic, anti-inflammatory, and antifertility properties. Bryonia Laciniosa seeds are beneficial to treat various types of diseases such as cholera, bronchitis, constipation, diabetes, inflammation, paralysis, snake bites, and abdominal diseases. In traditional medicine, Shivlingi is used as an aphrodisiac, it also has a Rasayana and Vajikarana effect which is beneficial in fertilization. Some major and listed benefits are:
- Increase body weight, testis, prostate, epididymis, and seminal vesicle.
- Increase in spermatogenesis
- Increase in sperm count.
- Increase in fructose content of seminal vesicle.
- Increase in serum testosterone and LH.
- Control the puffiness or swelling during the premenstrual and menstrual period.
- It fertility and increases the chances of getting pregnant.
Some other benefits are
- Constipation - Bryonia Laciniosa contains GLUCOMANNAN, which is a natural dietary fiber. It is a water-soluble fiber that helps to reduce constipation and improve digestion.
- Obesity – As it has GLUCOMANNAN compound which helps to digest the food properly, also helps to maintain weight and reduce obesity.
- Fever – It has an antipyretic, anti-fever, and anodyne effect which helps to control fever.
- Infertility – It is beneficial in female and male infertility; it increases testosterone hormones in men.
- Asthma – It has anti-asthmatic properties, which is useful to control allergy-related asthma.
3. Uses of Bryonia laciniosa (Shivlingi)
Dosage and uses are dependent upon the health problems and conditions or as recommended by an Ayurvedic doctor. The general recommended dosage is 5-10 grams of Bryonia laciniosa twice a day before 3 hours of a meal. It can also be taken with Putrajeevak. A minimum of 3-6 months of treatment is required, in some cases, it depends upon the health conditions.
Here are some tips to use Bryonia Laciniosa (Shivlingi)
- Take 5-6 grams of shivlingi seed powder with Lukewarm milk, helps to promote conception.
- Take 6-9 grams of shivlingi seed powder with water or milk after the mensuration for days regularly.
- Take 5 grams of shivlingi and putrajeevak seeds powder and mix it. Take 1 gram of this mixture with cow milk early in the morning before eating anything.
- Take 1 gm of shivlingi seed powder and take it after meals twice a day.
- Take 5 grams powder of each Ashwagandha and Shivlingi and mix with 5 grams of rock sugar powder. Take 1 gram of this mixture with cow milk twice a day.
4. Side Effects of Bryonia laciniosa (Shivlingi)
- In some case studies, shivlingi has abortifacient properties which lead to abortion, if you are taking shivlingi for fertility or conception, then first consult your doctor for the right dosage.
- It may react with some allopathy medicine, kindly consult your doctor first, if you are on any medication.
5. What is Putranjiva Roxburghii (Putrajeevak)?
Putrajeevak botanical name is Putranjiva Roxburghii and some common manes are putranjiva, lucky bean tree, and kuduro, it is mainly found in Southeast Asia and India. It is an evergreen tree and grown as an ornamental in a garden. The leaves of the plant are oblong, simple, shiny, shady green distantly rough. Fruit is ovate in shape and drupe ellipsoid, pointed, white-hairy. The flowering and fruiting time is March to May. Seeds of the plant are mainly used in Ayurveda for medicinal benefits.
Putrajeevak seeds are light brown and contain fatty oils, they are sweet and pungent in taste and heavy in quality because it contains fatty oils, it has cold potency, and it is diuretic, aphrodisiac, and laxative in nature. The main chemical compounds of the plant are glycosides, glucoputranjivin, glucocochelearin, glucojiaputin, and glucocleomin.
Putranjiva roxburgii tree is an Ayurvedic herb and is a popular medicinal tree. Its leaves, fruits and stones, and seeds are traditionally used for medicinal purposes.
The seeds of the Putranjiva Roxburghii are specially used for treating female infertility, this could be the reason why this tree is called Putrajiva or Child life tree. It has anti-inflammatory, antifungal, anti-mutagenic, laxative, diuretic, antioxidant, anti-pyretic, and anti-emetic properties. Putrajiva tree is especially used for treating female infertility, it improves female fertility and helps in conception. Some major and listed benefits are:
- Reproduction Health - It plays an important role in treating sterility, infertility, and recurring abortions.
- Sexual Health – It is beneficial to increase sexual urges, performance, and sperm count in men, which helps women to conceive.
- Inflammation – It is beneficial to reduce inflammation.
- Skin Disease – It is also beneficial for skin problems like acne, scar, and pimple.
- Anti-venom – It can neutralize snake poison; it is a good antidote.
- Constipation – Due to its laxative properties it is beneficial to cure constipation and ease bowel movement.
- Habitual Abortions – It is known as a uterine tonic; it helps to make the uterus strong and healthy to be capable of continuing pregnancy.
Dosage and uses are dependent upon the health problems and conditions or as recommended by an Ayurvedic doctor. The general recommended dosage is 5-10 grams of Putranjiva roxburghii twice a day before 3 hours of a meal. A minimum of 3-6 months of treatment is required, in some cases, it depends upon the health conditions.
Here are some tips for using Putranjiva Roxburghii (Putrajeevak) Seed
- For Constipation – Take 3 grams of powder with lukewarm milk twice a day daily.
- For Miscarriages – Take 200 grams of each powder, Ashwagandha, Putrajeevak, and rock sugar. Mix them well and take 4-5 grams of the mixture twice a day with lukewarm cow milk on an empty stomach.
- To Increase Sperm Count – Take 1-3 grams Putrajeevak powder with cow milk twice a day.
- Skin Rashes – Take 3 grams of powder and mix water to make a smooth paste, apply it to allergic rashes.
- For Headache – Take 10 grams of powder and mix water to make a smooth paste, apply it on the scalp or forehead.
- For Irregular Periods – Take 2 grams Putrajeevak powder, add to sesame seed decoction in which palm jaggery is dissolved. Take this twice a day for 12 days.
8. Side Effects of Putranjiva roxburghii (Putrajeevak) Seed
- It is not recommended for breastfeeding women and for pregnant women.
- Consult the doctor if you are on any supplement or on dietary medicine.
- If you are on any medication, first consult the doctor before starting to take Putranjiva Roxburghii.
- Do not consume if you are suffering from loose motion.
- This is not safe for children.
- Do not Putranjiva Roxburghii if you are facing Kapha doshas, it may increase the problems related to it.
9. Frequently Asked Question
Q - What is the use of Shivlingi or Bryonia seeds?
Shivlingi seeds botanical name is Bryonia Laciniosa, common name is Bryonia, it is used in the treatment of Infertility, treat urinary problems, and burning sensation, help to normalize the menstruation cycle, treat impotence, oligospermia, and female infertility.
Q - Is Bryonia good for cough?
Bryonia contains antimicrobial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, it helps to boost immunity and good to treat common cough & cold .
Q - Can we take Shivlingi beej during periods?
Shivlingi beej or Bryonia seeds are a uterine tonic and improves the chances of conception in women who are suffering from infertility. It also helps to ease the menstrual pain, but its recommended that do not atke Shivlingi beej if a person facing heavy flow in menstrual cycle.
Q - How can I use Shivlingi and Putrajeevak?
Take 200 grams of each powder, Ashwagandha, Putrajeevak, Shivlingi and rock sugar. Mix them well and take 4-5 grams of the mixture twice a day with lukewarm cow milk on an empty stomach.