Babul botanical name is Vachellia nilotica, some other common names are kikar, gum arabic tree, babul, thorn mimosa, Egyptian acacia, thorny acacia, and acacia nilotica.
It is mainly found in Africa, the middle east, and in the Indian subcontinent. It is a flowering plant; in Ayurveda, it is used for various medicinal purposes.
What is Vachellia Nilotica?
Vachellia nilotica or Babool is used in Ayurveda since ancient times, it is called a healing tree. Roots, bark, pods, gum, leaves, and seeds are used for medicinal purposes.
The leaves are grey-green in color with hairy leaflets, flowers are sweetly scented and bright to golden yellow in color.
The fruits are linear, flattened, narrow indehiscent pods and dark brown to grey in color and glabrous or velvety. The pods contain 8 to 15 elliptical, flattened bean-shaped dark seeds.
It is a multipurpose tree, it provides timber, medicine, fuel, shade, food, fodder, honey, dye, gum, and fences.
Consuming Babul powder with water once a day helps in relieving body pain without any side effects.
What are the Health benefits of Babul Bark and Pods?
Although all parts of the babool are very important in Ayurveda, babool bark and pods are majorly used for medicinal purposes. It balances Kapha and Pitta doshas, which helps to reduce pain.
Here are some benefits of Babul bark and Babool Pods.
Babul Bark Benefits
Babool bark is commonly known as babool chaal or Vachellia Nilotica Bark. It contains tannin, calcium, and magnesium, and the bark is mainly used for oral health.
The bark has cool potency and aphrodisiac, astringent in taste, it is dark brown in color, and it has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, astringent, and antioxidant properties.
It is beneficial in oral health, uterus swelling, and healing wounds. It is also beneficial in bleeding piles, hemorrhoids, mouth ulcers, and bleeding gums, and is used for vaginal infections.
It gives relief from cold and cough symptoms. It is also beneficial in treating skin diseases and burn injuries and helps to control bleeding and infections.
Chewing small pieces of fresh babool bark is good for oral health. Babool bark is highly beneficial in managing oral health problems and strengthens gums & teeth because of its astringent property.
Regular use of babul bark makes your teeth stronger, gums healthier, and reduces plaque accumulation.
Its Kapha balance property gives relief from sore throat and helps to remove mucus from the air passage for ease of breathing.
It is also beneficial to treat diarrhea and loss of motion and improve metabolism, giving strength to the intestine.
Kikar / Babul Pods Benefits
Babul or Vachellia nilotica pods are commonly known as kikar phali, babool phali. In Ayurveda, it is considered a plant having medicinal properties for various health problems.
It is green in color when young and pale white after maturing, it contains seeds that are symmetrically adjusted in the pods.
Babul pods contain vitamins and minerals, and seeds are a moderate source of energy, it is also rich in soluble and non-soluble fiber.
Babul phali has analgesic, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, it has a bitter and astringent taste.
It is beneficial in joint pain, if you are struggling from joint pain then you must try the babul phali or pods powder.
It is not only good for joint pain. It is also beneficial for patients with arthritis. To get rid of knee pain, you can take the powder of acacia pods with warm water in the morning and evening.
Babul pods are beneficial for frequent headache problems. It also gives relief from women’s leucorrhea problems, male sexual health, back pain, and body weakness.
How to use Kikar Pods and Bark?
Dosage and uses are dependent upon the health problems and conditions or as recommended by an Ayurvedic doctor. The general recommended dosage is 5-10 grams of babool phali or bark powder once a day, sometime babool pods powder may cause acidity.
Here are some tips to use Babool Bark and Pods Powder
- Take 10 grams of babul pod powder with lukewarm water in the morning and evening, gives relief from knee pain.
- Take 5 grams of kikar phali powder with lukewarm water or milk in the morning and evening, gives relief from headaches.
- Take 5 grams of babul pods powder with milk twice a day, gives relief to the leucorrhea problem.
- Take 10 grams of babul phali powder with milk at night, gives relief from men’s sexual problems.
- Consume babool pods powder with milk, which gives relief from muscle pain.
- Take 10 grams of babul pod powder and mix with water, milk, or honey, gives relief from body weakness, and makes bone and muscle strong and healthy.
- Take 5 grams of babool pahli powder with yogurt, gives relief from IBS symptoms, it treats constipation and bowel movement.
- Apply a paste of babool pods powder and coconut oil in the mouth, gives relief from plaque and gingivitis.
- Take a fresh babool bark and chew for 2-3 minutes early in the morning, helps to maintain your oral health.
- For cuts and skin burns, babool bark powder is beneficial.
- Take 25 gm of babool bark powder and mango bark powder and boil it with 1 liter of water, take steam of it and apply ghee after it.
Precaution before taking Babool Powder
- Do not consume Vachellia Nilotica powder if you are suffering from a breathing problem, first consult the doctor.
- Do not consume Vachellia Nilotica powder if you are suffering from a constipation problem, first consult the doctor.
- It is not recommended for breastfeeding women and for pregnant women.
- If you are on any medication, first consult the doctor before starting taking babool powder.
Some Ayurvedic herbs may interact with Allopathy or Homeopathy.
- If you are on supplements or on multivitamins tablets, first consult the doctor before starting taking babul powder.
Side Effects of Vachellia nilotica
There are no side effects of any Ayurvedic herb if it's taken under prescription. But in some cases, people face some side effects which are,
- Loose motion
- Skin rashes (sometimes)
It is always advisable to consult the doctor before taking babul powder along with amoxicillin.
Note: This post is about educating the benefits and uses of Bishop weed, consult the Ayurvedic doctor before starting.
Frequently Asked Question
Q - What is the common name for Acacia nilotica?
Acacia nilotica botanical name is Vachellia nilotica, some other common names are kikar, gum arabic tree, babul, thorn mimosa, Egyptian acacia, thorny acacia, acacia nilotica.
Q - Is Acacia and Babool same?
Acacia and babool are the same, babool is the Hindi name of Acacia nilotica. Its pods, bark, and gum are widely used in Ayurveda, culinary, and other industrial purposes.
Q - What is Babul tree called in English?
Babul tree English name is Acacia nilotica, its botanical name is Vachellia nilotica.
Q - How do you use Kikar Gond?
Kikar or Vachellia nilotica gum is used for culinary and Ayurveda medical purposes. It is used in snacks, dessert, dental health, digestion, and for knee pain.
Q - Does Babool bark have medicinal value?
In Ayurveda babool bark is used for its medicinal value, it is good for teeth and gums, cough and cold, constipation, stomach worms, urinary disorders, constipation, hair fall, and skin rashes.
It has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, analgesic, antiseptic, and hemostatic properties.
Q - What is babool Gond?
Babool gond is a stick liquid that comes from the babool trunk, it is used in Ayurveda for its medicinal health benefits.